The Professional Development Plan (‘PDP’) is a means by which doctors can reflect on areas of their clinical practice which they wish to strengthen, or address possible weaknesses.
RNZCUC requires one PDP per three year cycle, updated and reviewed annually, and comprehensively reviewed at the end of the cycle.
Registrars are to develop a PDP in the first month of joining the training programme, and load it to ePortfolio. This will be based on their programme completion plan, which they developed as part of their application and in discussions with their supervisor.
A PDP may take into account:
- Satisfying training programme requirements
- Maintaining progress through the training programme towards Fellowship
- Need to update clinical knowledge and skills
- The requirements of the ED or Clinic
- Personal ambition and goal
- Areas a doctor would like to follow up on
- Issues arising from patient cases
- Outcome of audits
- Patient feedback, complaints or incident reports
- Areas of practice in which a doctor feels uncomfortable.
An example of a PDP is shown below. The PDP template is available online. The College is aware that the PDP template and ePortfolio are not aligned. This will be resolved, but in the meantime we recommend:
- Transfer the information from your PDP to ePortfolio to suit your requirements, or
- Enter ONE ePortfolio PDP goal: “PDP maintained manually using RNZCUC template”.
IN BOTH CASES KEEP A COPY OF YOUR PDP. YOU MAY BE ASKED TO SEND YOUR PDP FORM(S) TO THE COLLEGE FOR CHECKING OR AUDIT.