There are three required papers: Paediatrics, clinical epidemiology, and registrar chosen (approved by RNZCUC).  The Education Committee is responsible for deciding which courses, papers, and qualifications meet the Fellowship ‘university paper’ criteria. It accepts a broad range of university papers, qualifications and courses, and some medical college courses and qualifications, including Fellowships.

Before committing to any university paper or equivalent, confirm with the Education Committee or Director of Clinical Training that it is acceptable.

Below are some specific papers that are accepted, and some broad categories of papers, qualifications and courses from universities and medical Colleges that may be accepted. Registrars are encouraged to submit suggestions for courses of study for consideration.


  • University of Auckland PAEDS 714
  • University of Otago GENA726
  • University of Otago Diploma of Child Health (CHHE701 and 702)
  • University of Otago CHHE 702
  • Paediatric Fellowship
  • Other RNZCUC-approved equivalent.

Clinical epidemiology / biostatistics paper

  • University of Auckland POPHLTH 709 –  (Evidence for Best Practice)
  • University of Auckland POPHLTH 708
  • Massey University biostatistics paper
  • University of the Sunshine Coast PUB708
  • Public health papers and degrees that include biostatistics
  • Public health Fellowship
  • Other RNZCUC-approved equivalent.

Pre-graduate and 1st-year medical epidemiology papers are not an approved equivalent.

Optional paper (RNZCUC-approved paper of the registrar’s choice)

RNZCUC intends this to give registrars an opportunity to study an area of interest in more depth. Topics should be relevant to urgent care, and not covered elsewhere in the training programme. RNZCUC may accept other ‘equivalent papers’, as defined above, proposed or prior, that meet the above intent. Please check the Fellowship regulations and RPL policy.  Accepted optional papers include:

  • University of Otago
    • MSME 701 Clinical Diagnosis
    • MIHI 501 Health Professionals General Course (distance learning and onsite)
    • GENA 717 Generalist Medical Echocardiography
    • GENA 718 Generalist Medical Ultrasound
    • SPME 701 Issues in Sports Medicine
    • SPME 707  Regional Sports Injury 1
    • SPME 708  Regional Sports Injury 2
    • MSME 705 Regional Disorders – spine
    • MSME 706 Regional Disorders – limbs
    • MSME 710 Recreational and Sports Injuries
    • DIGH701-principles of digital health and informatics
    • University of Otago CHHE 701 (but only if University of Auckland PAEDS 714 was completed for the Paeds paper).
  • University of Auckland
    • MAORIHTH 701 Foundations of Mäori Health
    • POPLPRAC 702 Primary Mental Health – Community psychiatry; includes communication
    • POPLHLTH 704   Undertaking Qualitative Health Research
    • POPLHLTH 705   Evaluation Research Methods
    • POPLHLTH 706   Statistics in Health Science
    • POPLHLTH 707   Statistics in Health Science 2
    • POPLHLTH 708   Epidemiology
    • POPLHLTH 709   Evidence for Best Practice
    • POPLHLTH 711   Systematic Reviews and Meta-analysis
    • POPLHLTH 712   Clinical Trial Design, Analysis and Management
    • HLTHMGT 721 Health Management – Unit-level management. Suitable for those interested in facility management
    • POPLHLTH 722 Organisation of Health Systems – Macro level health systems
    • DIGIHLTH701 Principles of digital health
    • PAEDS 705 Neonate and Infant Health (starting August 2023).
  • Massey University
    • 231.704 Māori Health (30 credits).
  • University of Waikato
    • MAORI204 Māori, Pacific and Indigenous Health and Wellbeing.
  • Ireland UCD School of medicine
    • Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Informatics.


    • Emergency medicine certificate.
Completion and refunds of fees for HWNZ-funded registrars

Registrars apply, and pay for, the university papers themselves.  Once they have successfully completed the paper, they complete this document requesting reimbursement and send to the College along with relevant documentation (pass certificate,  original GST invoice/receipt from the university paper).  On receipt of all necessary documentation, the College will refund the university paper fee (up to the HWNZ amounts allowed).