The Professional Development Plan (PDP) is a planning document that can guide a doctor’s future CPD and educational activities.
It is informed by the SAC, and completed shortly after. The PDP template is offered for use, but doctors may use any form they wish, as long as it assists in planning relevant and appropriate activities.
A PDP may take into account:
- Structured annual conversation
- Supervisor discussions
- Satisfying training programme requirements
- Maintaining progress through the training programme towards Fellowship
- Ideas on how you can provide a cultural safe environment (personally or within your workplace)
- Ideas on how you could contribute to improving health equity for all
- Need to update clinical knowledge and skills
- The requirements of the employer
- Outcome of audits
- Patient feedback, complaints or incident reports
- Areas of practice in which a doctor feels uncomfortable
- Your health and wellbeing
- Life or career goals.
The e-portfolio and the PDP will be linked, enabling easy monitoring of activities and achievements.
The PDP, mandated requirements (annual and triennial), training programme requirements (for maintaining progress) can all be combined into your targets for the coming year.