RNZCUC provides online training for supervisors, available here (you will need to log in to view).
The College arranges an online interactive stage two supervisor training with Connect Comms. We hold this typically once a year. We share the dates via the newsletter and website.
Supervisors and potential supervisors should read the Supervision Policy for a full description of the supervision requirements.
As a supervisor you’ll have several roles:
- Mentor, offering advice and ideas and sharing their knowledge of the training programme.
- Coach, encouraging and challenging the registrar to develop.
- Trainer, passing on clinical skills.
- Role model, demonstrating professionalism.
- Assessor, providing feedback to the registrar and the College on the registrar’s performance and assessing skills listed in the Core Skills List.
You’ll be an RNZCUC Fellow (or with Board of Censors approval, an ED or RHM Fellow, or rarely a senior registrar or Fellow of another college), complying with the RNZCUC recertification programme, normally working with the registrar, and able to meet the responsibilities of a supervisor defined in the Supervision Policy. In brief, you’ll be able to:
- Oversee the registrar’s performance (or arrange for another suitably experienced person to do this).
- Agree to supervise, and able to access ePortfolio to monitor the registrar’s progress through the training programme, including being able to add comments and feedback. You might also be asked to confirm the facility meets the requirements of an approved training facility.
- Conduct at least 6 formal face-to-face one-on-one meetings (vc is permitted) totalling at least six hours per year. This document contains a suggested format.
- Check competence on skills listed in the core skills list.
- Provide a short report back to the College each year.