Doctors practising in a country with a health system deemed comparable with that in Aotearoa New Zealand may be eligible to apply for and commence the training programme to achieve Fellowship.
You can apply to join the College training programme at any time. Eligibility criteria are:
- Registered to practise in a CHS country with an MCNZ-approved registration body.
- A current practising certificate
- In good standing
- Completion of the equivalent of the NZ PGY1 to the satisfaction of your registration body.
- The first step is to check you are eligible using this form. This also constitutes an expression of interest.
- Once we confirm you are eligible, you can apply for a place on the training programme (we will send you the application form). Depending on other Fellowships held, you may be invited to apply for the Accelerated Pathway to Fellowship.
- The College then identifies any prior learning and experience based on the information you have provided.
- The applicant develops a plan for the completion of the remaining requirements. This will include the identification of local courses in place of the NZ-based practical courses and confirming that they are acceptable to RNZCUC.
- The applicant is invited to an interview as part of the selection process. If successful, the applicant is offered a place on the training programme and to gain Fellowship by meeting the Fellowship criteria.
- To commence training, the following need to be in place:
- You have accepted the offer of a place and proposed a training programme start date that is within three months of the offer.
- You have a supervisor, approved by the College, who is able to provide supervision that satisfies the supervision requirements.
- You are working in an approved training facility.
From 1 July 2022, an application fee of NZ$500 applies. The fee covers part of the costs the College incurs in assessing your application, reviewing any application from your workplace to be considered an RNZCUC-approved training facility, and assisting you in finding an appropriate supervisor and peer group. Payment of the application fee does not guarantee entry to the programme, as the other afore-mentioned conditions are often outside the control of RNZCUC.
After commencing the programme, a College membership fee applies. Please read the information on the Membership, subscriptions, and fees page.
The costs for the training programme are generally updated annually, though if external providers raise their prices unannounced, the College may have to update the charge immediately.