The Medical Council are seeking feedback on their statement on the maintenance and retention of patient records. You are invited to review their letter and respond directly to them. Should you wish the College to collate responses and provide collective feedback, please email your comments to the GM (email@example.com).
8 July 2019
Consultation – Statement on the maintenance and retention of patient records
We are reviewing our statement on the maintenance and retention of patient records and would like your input.
We intend to retain most of the existing statement without change and have added new guidance on:
- What should be recorded in the patient’s notes, including making retrospective changes.
- Audio and video recording of discussions between a patient and their doctor.
- Following up referrals that have not been actioned.
- Handling requests from patients for copies of their notes.
- Making arrangements for clinical records before a doctor leaves a practice.
You can access the consultation paper at the link below to view the key changes and questions we would like your input on. Also included below are the draft revised statement (Appendix 1) and the existing statement (Appendix 2).
- Consultation paper: Draft revised statement on the maintenance and retention of patient records
- Appendix 1: Draft statement on patient records
- Appendix 2: Existing August 2008 statement on patient records
We welcome your feedback and ask that you send it to us by 19 August 2019. Submissions can be emailed to Kanny Ooi, Senior Policy Adviser and Researcher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to receiving your comments.
Ngā mihi nui