The costs for the training programme are generally updated annually, though if external providers raise their prices unnanounced, the College may have to update the charge immediately. Registrars not eligible for HWNZ funding may receive a College subsidy for the costs of some components.
All registrars pay their initial membership fee. Subsequently, HWNZ-funded registrars may receive a credit note for annual membership based on unallocated HWNZ funds from the previous year. We do not know the amounts available until the start of each calendar year. We apply the credit to the annual membership fee, showing the balance required to be paid by the registrar.
See the membership page for further information on the membership fee payment.
HWNZ funds are available for eligible doctors completing the training programme. Eligibility and how the funds are applied are described in the HWNZ Funding document. In brief you must be:
- Registered to practise medicine in NZ.
- At least PGY2.
- A NZ Citizen or permanent resident (note PRV is required, see the HWNZ Funding document).
- Not receiving HWNZ funds for other vocational training (including via a DHB).
- Approved for funding by RNZCUC
- On the RNZCUC training programme for no more than 4 years (though an extension for 6 years is allowed, subject to RNZCUC approval, if you take time out of training for exceptional circumstances).
Those who do not meet these criteria may be able to apply for an exemption, specifically from the residency criterion. Experience has shown that HWNZ are far more likely to grant this to those working in under-served areas (ie small towns and rural areas). See http://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/health-workforce/investment-and-purchasing/exceptions-residency-status-policy. The GM is able to support your application.
Should your application for an exemption not be successful, the College automatically awards a significant subsidy to non-funded registrars.
Those not eligible for HWNZ funds will be invoiced regularly for the training programme components they complete (and RNZCUC pays for) in accordance with the Fees and invoices for non-HWNZ funded registrars document.